Friday 11 January 2013

You've sent in your application... Now what?

The reality is I don't have time to interview every person that sends me their application.  Part of my shortlisting process is to phone screen those that have impressed me so far.  This is basically a mini phone interview and will determine whether I ask you in for a face-to-face interview.

As always, each step of the process is helping to shape my decision making process.  From the moment you answer my call I'm assessing your suitability for the role. Here are some tips to help you stand out from the crowd.  They may sound obvious, but you'd be surprised at how many people miss the mark.

1)  If you don't know who's calling, always make sure you answer the phone friendly & professionally... You never know, it could be a potential employer calling about a role

2)  If you are not available to talk freely or in a quiet environment ask if you are able to call the recruiter back at a more suitable time

3)  Be prepared.  You may or may not get a phone call regarding every application you send, but I highly recommend that you keep a log of each of the roles you've applied for and do a little research on each company.  One of the first questions I ask is: "What do you know about the company so far?"  If you've done a bit of research and have a good idea of what our company does, it will impress me

4)  The next question I ask is: "What interested you in this role?"  Here's a great opportunity to sell yourself as to why you'd be great.  This is also important as I want to know that you will actually be committed to the role. ("I really just need a job" isn't going to make the cut)

I understand that if you've sent off multiple applications it means more work to keep track of them all, but from my perspective, if you've made an effort to learn about my company and show genuine (and I mean genuine!) interest in the role I'm recruiting for, there is a good chance you'll make my shortlist!

As a side note, I've received a lot of feedback that there are many companies out there who don't reply to acknowledge receipt of your application or even let you know the outcome of your application.  For the record this is not cool in my books!

Hope this helps,
Shannon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment