Friday 4 January 2013

Job applications - give them what they've asked for!

One of the biggest things I've noticed during the initial review of job applications is that so many people do not follow the instructions in the job ad.

Generally, I don't ask for much.  Often just a cover letter and CV.  For some roles, depending on the type of role and skill level required, I may ask for something more specific such as a portfolio, examples of previous work or even a presentation put together specifically for this position.

There are reasons why I ask for these things and this forms the very first part of my screening and shortlisting process.  In particular, I place a lot of emphasis on the cover letter, especially for roles where communication is important.  It is one of your first opportunities to impress me and I use your cover letter to investigate whether you are demonstrating any of the key skills that I'm looking for.  If you haven't supplied a cover letter, or any other part of the application that I have asked for, not only is this time consuming for me to follow up with you, but it also leaves me questioning whether or not you are able to follow instructions.

Now, to be fair, I don't know if all employers take the initial application stage of recruitment as serious as I do, but I strongly believe that these initial communications can tell me a lot about you and you may not even realise it.

So my advice is to take time to read the job ad carefully, and provide what has been asked for in your application if you really want to get noticed.  It sounds simple, and yet, is so often missed.  If you can't, at least acknowledge this and let me know when I can expect the missing components.

For example, I have had people send me an email to say they are really excited about the position I've advertised and would like to express their interest, but due to time constraints would not be able to supply the presentation I've requested until after the weekend etc.  For me, I appreciate that someone has taken the time to show me they are interested and have given a timeframe on when I can expect to receive their full application.

For those that are not willing to put the effort in, you are probably not someone that I would want to put forward for hire, especially when I may have 4-5 others who have taken the time to do what has been asked.  It may seem harsh, but if I have 50 applicants to review and only space for maybe 5-6 interviews, you've got to stand out from the crowd and this is a good start.

Good luck,
Shannon :)

~~~~~~~~

If you have any specific questions regarding recruitment, applications, interviews or any other topics that you'd like me to write about, please feel free to let me know.





No comments:

Post a Comment