Tuesday 8 January 2013

The importance of a great cover letter

Opinions are mixed as to how important a cover letter is when it comes to your job application.

I place a lot of emphasis on cover letters and use them to help me decide if I'll take your application further.

Your cover letter is an introduction to who you are and what skills you have to offer me.

Would you walk into my office and hand me your CV without saying hello, introducing yourself and explaining why you were there?  The same rules apply to sending me your CV.  I really dislike receiving emails with nothing more than a CV attachment.  I think it is rude and impersonal.

Particularly for any roles that revolve around communication (e.g. customer service, sales, marketing), this is your opportunity to show off your skills and it's also giving me an insight into your communication standards.

Your cover letter doesn't have to be long, but there are some key things I'm looking for:

1.  It should be warm, friendly and professional

2.  It should be easy to read with no spelling or grammatical errors (for more on this click here)

3.  It should be completely personalised for my company and the role I'm recruiting for

4.  It should explain why you want to work for my company and what skills you think you have to offer (if possible match these to what has been asked for in the job ad)

5.  Don't list your entire work history in your cover letter (I have your CV to look at!), but perhaps mention one or two jobs that you feel are relevant to the skills and experience I'm looking for

6.  It should either be addressed to me (if I have given my name in the job ad), or "To Whom it May Concern".  One thing that really frustrates me is receiving letters addressed to "Dear Sir" and it happens more than you'd think.  Never assume the gender of the recruiter (but that's a whole different blog post!)

7.  Don't assume that I'm going to want to interview you.  I really dislike sentences like "please contact me to set up a suitable time for an interview".  However, something along the lines of "If you would like to speak with me further about my application, please do not hesitate to contact me on [phone number]" is much more appealing to me

8.  Ensure your contact details are correctly listed!

As a final note, I totally understand that you may be applying for multiple roles at the same time. There is nothing wrong with using the same base template for your cover letter.  However, I don't want to read a generic sounding cover letter.  Make me feel like you've taken some time and effort to apply for my role and make sure you double check your letter before you send it to me.  I have received cover letters addressed to me, but applying for a role I've never heard of before.  Again that attention to detail is really important!  It may seem minor, but it will make me question your level of care if I were to hire you for my role.

Hope this helps!
Shannon :)

~~~~~~~

If you have any specific questions regarding recruitment, applications, interviews or any other topics that you'd like me to write about, please feel free to let me know

3 comments:

  1. Hi Shannon,

    Should a cover letter be written in proper letter format and attached to an email as a PDF (eg, Dear Shannon, Please find attached my cover letter and CV in application for the position of...?) Or should it be the body of the email itself?

    TIA :)
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kylie
    Thanks for your email and sorry for the delay in replying. We are currently painting the inside of our house so haven't been near my computer in a few days!! If it were me personally I would have the cover letter in proper letter format saved as a PDF and attached to the email along with your CV and then a brief introduction email as you've written above :)

    When recruiting it's also the format that I prefer to receive. Just remember that the first email introduction is very important in terms of tone as well as spelling and grammar etc as it is the first impression before the other two attachments are even opened. You may even want to incorporate a sentence to show your enthusiasm such as "I'm very excited to apply for the role of..... Please find my cover letter and CV attached. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or if you would like to discuss my suitability for the role. Kind regards, Shannon (or something similar)

    Hope this helps :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing. I am searching a Student cv for me. I think site is good. There are good collection. I have seen more site but I think its and cover letter are best site for us. Thanks everyone.

    ReplyDelete