Monday 21 January 2013

Saving your application documents

PDF:

If you have the ability to turn your documents into PDF files before you send them, I highly recommend it.

Often documents can loose their formatting when being opened by the recipient.  Whilst they may have looked great when you sent them, you cannot guarantee they will look the same at the other end.  Also, if you've chosen to override any automatic spelling or grammatical suggestions, they may show up with the red underline alerts when reopened.

When I receive a PDF document, I believe it adds that extra feeling of professionalism and it is a much nicer way to open and read documents.

N.B.  If you are applying for any type of design based role, then I believe PDF's are a must!

Naming your documents:

Another tip is to ensure you name your documents well.  With the email system I use during recruitment, it is much easier for me to save each document received into a folder set up on my desktop.  If I want to refer back to a particular CV or cover letter, I like to use the search function within that folder.

The easiest way for me to do this is to search your name, so if you've saved your document using your name in the title, it makes it much easier.   Often I can have 20-30 variations of documents saved as "CV.doc" which makes finding your CV a time consuming process.

I'd suggest naming your documents something like:  JoeBlogsCV and JoeBlogsCoverLetter.

Again, it adds a level of professionalism to the look and feel of your overall application.

Hope this helps,
Shannon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment